Ads Top

Coaching Search Continues as Jets Look to Reload

You can forget about last season because the New York Jets have already begun their 2006 campaign. There are eight teams competing for the championship, but the Green & White have their eyes on the future and a speedy return to winning football.

“We've never used the word ‘rebuilding’ since we've been here,” says New York GM Terry Bradway. “We did not do it after the '03 season; we are not going to do it now.

“I don't understand what ‘rebuilding’ is. I think we've got good football players here. I think we'll get some injured guys back; I think we'll add to it with a good draft and we have a chance to get back on track pretty quick.”

Bradway’s first offseason task is hiring a head coach. The Jets allowed Herman Edwards to move to Kansas City in exchange for a 2006 fourth round draft selection as compensation. Difficult personnel decisions lie ahead, but nothing more important than picking the right man to lead the team.




“We'll start moving forward, but the most important thing I can do right now is hire the new head coach,” said Bradway. “The big free agency season doesn't start until March 2. Our college guys are working hard on the draft. I was actually hoping that I could get to San Antonio next week for the East/West game and it kind of looks like that's not going to happen. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it down to the Senior Bowl.”

The Jets’ coaching staff remains intact for now minus Edwards. Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson interviewed for the Saints’ head job and will also interview with the Jets. Bradway would like to give the new coach a chance to evaluate the current staff.

“We have received requests for some of our guys already, and I would expect we would probably get some more,” he said. “We've got good coaches here and we've committed to them, so I want to give the new guy an opportunity to look at those coaches.”

The Jets have already met with former Saints coach Jim Haslett and they also plan on discussing their top vacancy with the team’s three coordinators: offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, special teams coach/assistant head coach Mike Westhoff, and Henderson. Others who could receive consideration include Rams interim coach Joe Vitt, former Vikings head coach Mike Tice, Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, and Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini.

“The biggest thing is I think we want to bring a football coach in here who is all about football and who has a good technical knowledge of the game,” Bradway said. “And obviously you want someone with a good work ethic who can handle the staff and the players.”
Bradway has not set a timetable for his new hire.

“I just want to make sure I'm as thorough and as complete as we can be in this process. That's what we're going to do,” he said. “So to say by the end of the week or end of next week, I don't want to do that. We've got coaches that are under contract here. We like our coaches, and I'm not going to be in a hurry to give any of them up at this point in time.”

On Monday, Bradway said the Jets would not comment publicly on their search other than confirming coaches they’ve visited with. Bradway, an Atlantic City native, is conducting interviews with Assistant GM Mike Tannebaum, and Team Owner Woody Johnson will also provide input.

“He's owned this team for six years now, and he's been in personnel meetings with us, and he sits in on our interviews with the coaches,” Bradway said of Johnson. “He knows what he's talking about and he knows more than people say that he knows in the public. He couldn't have been more supportive to us and he will continue to be that way, and he's involved in the process.”

There has been a noticeable change in Bradway’s attitude in recent days. He is genuinely excited about this process and appears reinvigorated by the opportunity in front of him.
“I know there are a lot of people in this building that bust their tail. And when I met with the staff last Friday, I could see that they were excited and that they were ready to go and that they were ready to pull their weight and do whatever they can,” Bradway said. “There's a lot of things we want to do a little bit differently and we're excited about doing that. Change is good and we have a chance to do that.”

Bradway is a true football man who may never truly embrace the spotlight, but he is willing to step up and become more of the face for the organization. Edwards was a dominant presence in media circles, but the New York demands may have worn him out.

“Maybe in my role now, I've got to be a little more active with the media,” Bradway said this week. “Maybe I have to take a little pressure off the new head coach and I'm totally prepared to do that.

“But I'm excited, and my situation is my situation. I know this: I've got the confidence of Woody, and I've got the confidence of Jay Cross to go ahead with this search and hire this head coach. I'm not worried about my situation at all.”

Trace Terry Bradway’s history and you will never find back-to-back losing seasons on his 20-year NFL resume. You should believe him when he says “rebuilding” is not a word in his vocabulary.
source :.newyorkjets.com

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.