Ads Top

Guest column: Lambeau visit a dream come true for Steelers fan

MAPLE GROVE, Minn. — Sunday was a very special day for me. As a lifelong football fan, it has been a dream of mine to see a game at Lambeau Field.

As I awoke to the morning rain, even gray clouds could not dampen my spirits.

I had a wonderful meal at a nearby restaurant, enjoyed some tailgating with some of the finest outdoor enthusiasts in the land and was greeted at the main gate by Curly, Vince and a swarm of smiles.

The Atrium was staggering, with its cathedral-like height, windows displaying the day’s now sunny skies, entertainment and throngs of fans.

As I exited that artificial warmth and entered the concourse, I was overcome by a warmth from chills and a child-like excitement comparable to nothing I’ve ever felt before.

I drank in all the sights, sounds and smells of that famous and wonderful area and, when I could wait no more, exited the tunnel to see what I can only describe as a near-perfect football atmosphere ... the hallowed grounds of Lambeau Field itself.

The character of the venue overtook me as I stared in awe. A sea of green enveloped me and I climbed in a trance-like state to Section 100, Row 44, Seat 20.

I soaked up the sun, listened to the din and smiled inside. I had finally made it to Lambeau.
The fans surrounding me were friendly, welcoming and did not take for granted that they, too, were lucky to be in the company of one another in such an historic place.

The game seemed to go by in seconds ... a mere blur in my day.

As I found my way through the crowd and back to the vehicle that would carry me home, brief words were spoken with others exiting Lambeau, some, perhaps like myself, for the first and last time in their lives.

As I got to the vehicle and began peeling off my layers of Black and Gold, my heart was warm, my mood uplifted. No, not because my Steelers had beaten your Packers, but because I and the other Steelers fans who made the trip to Lambeau Field were treated with respect, welcomed with open arms and reminded that there are still true football fans. Fans who love the game. Fans who appreciate other fans who love the game. And fans willing to say, “We’ll get you next time,” with a smile on their faces.

To the wonderful fans of the Green Bay Packers, thank you for a remarkable experience. I can only hope my hometown of Pittsburgh and fans of my beloved Steelers will treat you with the same respect, courtesy and dignity that you treated me.

Here’s to better days ahead for your team and continued respect for the game and all its fans, no matter which team you cheer for.

Katie Maloney is a producer and talk show host for WCCO radio in Minneapolis.
source : www.packersnews.com

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.